Emotional Coaching









What is a child's best interest? Why are children so emotional? How can we coach our children on their emotions? Many of you might think differently, but how would you think if you were a child and your parents were not loving or not as emotional coaching as everyone else. Children have a mind of their own they think, feel and act differently. Having a father that comes home drugged or drunk, is not being a loving father, and a mother that anger quickly sparks out and all the time spends ignoring her child and feeding her bad habits is not being a loving mother. When children see the emotions of their parents not being under control, they can also grow up the same way. When I was a child even toward my teenage years, I would see the example my parents would use around me. My mother would make me food and teach me good manners she would also follow. My father, after a long day of work, would spend time talking to my mother and me, which made me feel loved. Even as I grew up I knew not what I would become but I knew I wanted to be like my father. Of course there were bad days where yelling, anger and sadness would be in our house, but that is not what I focused on at my home. Some of you might be divorce or raising a child on their own, for example I have a companion who I am serving with right now, that only his mother raised him. For him, his mother was the role model and hard worker to maintain his family strong. If we are in a situation like that being a single father or mother. Let us not give up! Be of good courage and strive to become the best example he can love. Others might suffer from same gender attraction or suffering from depression or anxiety, which makes you feel that having a family would be impossible for you to accomplish. I would like to share a scripture in 1Nephi 3:7 in the Book of Mormon, this is a story of how a young man needed to go back to Jerusalem to bring forth a precious brass plates containing the law of Moses and his genealogy, after his father told him what God wanted him to do and how the survival chance would be small, he wrote saying "And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commanded them." To multiply and replenish the world is a commandment and God gives no commandments without preparing us a way to accomplish it.  Of course there are those who can't bare children, but still let us not give up, adoption will always be an option for children looking for those loving role models they desperately need in this world. Of course a mother and father is the key to be that role model and coaching their children on emotions. You might think you cannot change the emotions of your children. We need to remember that children often do not know what is the right emotion to use in a situation. For example, whenever a toddler is upset even if its in public, and if they are not emotionally trained. They can throw a fit in front of everyone and not feel the least embarrassed. We can teach our children by getting down to their level and showing them the proper way and place to show your emotions. We also need to respect their emotions. If they cry it is because they actually feel sad. We must be as loving as we can toward our children.This will help them develop more as they grow and become adults. Especially with boys; they need to understand that they should be able to share their emotions with you parents. A lot of boys tend to just keep silent because it can be looked down upon. We as the parents need to show how we do care how they think, even if we disagree. We cannot be perfect when it comes to emotional coaching, but as we try to teach our children. They can grow and become great adults that know how to coach their own emotions.





References

April E (2016). 3 Do’s and Don’ts for Raising Emotionally Intelligent Kids. Retrieved from: https://www.gottman.com/blog/3-dos-donts-raising-emotionally-intelligent-kids/
Lynn S (1987). “I Will Go and Do …” Retrieved from: https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/ensign/1987/11/i-will-go-and-do?lang=eng




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

True Grit

Roles vs Rules

You got the money, what will you do?